Saturday, October 20, 2007

Craziest TTC Bus Ride

[This blog post contains mature language]

So it was raining after school today. I ran to the convenience store to get a phone card. I was soaked. The Chinese fella who owns the store was even laughing. He's cool though. He's missing half a finger (which is a face that Tim pointed out to me a few months ago). Then I waited for the 32 bus at the bus stop, since I didn't wanna walk home in the rain. I had student tickets anyway. Lots of kids were on the bus. Mainly high schoolers and some dude with a baby and his chick who had a sore tooth or something (she was holding a cloth to her cheek).
When we got to the Eglinton & Avenue intersection, the bus stopped to pick up more kids, and we all heard the lady shouting at someone, "GET OFF THE BUS! GET OFF THE BUS!". I chuckled. Poor kid, whoever got shouted at.
Then we moved along on a joyful ride. When we got to Eglinton & Chaplin (the stop just before mine), the bus turned RIGHT. Now, usually, you'd expect the bus to keep going straight, so we were all wondering what was going on, and people were complaining. Some of them sounded like they were getting off at my stop too. So the toothache girl was like, "Stop the bus so people can get off!". But the driver lady wasn't listening. People were freaking out. Most of us even got up thinking she'd stop soon so we can get off, but NADA. She kept going. I was cool though, because...well...because I'm just cool like that.
Then she turned a few roads left. We all heard that she's taking a detour for some reason. Lots of people were yelling for her to stop, and making fun of her. "LET US OFF! OPEN THE DOOR!" Some girls I was sitting with were joking, "We're being kidnapped!" and "We should sing a song. The wheels on the bus go round and round..." I found that funny XD Then the guy with a kid was trying to shout at the driver, though she couldn't hear him because we were in the back. "Stop bitch, so we can get off!" Then one of the dudes sitting in the back with us, woke up. He was a tired-looking Asian with a baseball cap. And this one guy was trying to get his attention to tell him that we're taking a detour. I think the sleepy Asian guy was confused. He didn't really say anything. I chuckled XD
Then we turned left on Bathurst Street. Bathurst intersects Eglinton, so we knew we were going west again once we hit Eglinton. Then the driver was complaining, "Please calm down, I can't drive when you're making noise." And right then, people made a lot of noise to irritate her. XD that was funny. When we hit Eglinton, we saw a police car blocking the lane going east.
Most of us got off when the bus stopped right on Eglinton. One of the last things I heard when I got off was, "12-year-olds shouldn't be allowed on the bus anymore." Whoever said that looked 13.
So I got off, and I turned around to look at how many people got off, and I heard this guy saying, "Watch it, stupid nigger." And this black chick was behind me, repulsed. I was like, "What the hell? What was that about?" and she was like, "I have no idea. I can't wait to get home and tell my mother what just happened. First, a crazy bus ride, then this dude. I just KNOW he wasn't talking about me." and I was like, "I know he wasn't talking about ME!" and then this white dude came walking next to us. "You should call and complain to the TTC. You can do that. What happened?" and she told him, " Well, some guy just called ME and my HOMEBOY here, a nigger."
Yes, I think that was the first time I'd ever heard someone being so openly racist to someone. It's crazy.
Anyway, it went something like that. Then we all walked towards our humble abodes. On my way home, a lady standing on the sidewalk told us that a bus driver had fallen asleep on the wheel and had hit a post, about 45 minutes ago. I saw the TTC bus whose front was wrecked, and the lamp post it hit. There were cops and firefighters on the scene, people watching, and others taking pictures. I decided to take a few with my phone. When I walked by, I asked a firefighter if the bus driver really fell asleep on the wheel and he said that they were still trying to figure out what happened. I wondered if that lady was just talking XD

So yeah, that was my crazy day, shared with high schoolers, crazy yelling people, bus drivers and racists.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I read the headline on the subway TV's. That's crazy! I love the bus :)

Micha said...

wow.. that sounds.. scary.
why did she go in such a weird direction? I was scared when i red that.

ngh.. and the falling asleep :'(
Im worried sick, now.. =(